Rome2rio makes travel planning easy. We are a door-to-door travel search and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. With millions of unique monthly visitors, our travel search and booking service is one of the top online travel planning tools used around the world.
Who we’re looking for:
We are looking for a Data Scientist Software Engineer to join our growing team in Melbourne. We are an established team of senior data scientists with computer science PhD backgrounds, with a specific focus on leveraging applied data science to the highest-impact projects in scaling the business across marketing, product and commercialisation.
What you’ll work on:
- Work embedded in a cross-functional squad with software engineers and subject-matter experts
- Contribute to product development by building and maintaining statistical and ML models
- Increase visibility and understanding of a squad’s impact by developing squad-level KPIs and maintaining and communicating the measurement thereof
- Develop innovative data-driven solutions to hard problems such as predicting traveler needs and global travel trends
- Drive product improvements by proposing hypotheses, designing and implementing experiments to test them and communicating learnings from this process
- Develop data accessibility by gathering technical requirements and building new datasets in collaboration with our Data Engineers
- Share and review methods and findings across the Data Science discipline
What you’ll bring:
- PhD in Computer Science or related field, or 3+ years industry experience in Data Science
- Undergraduate or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering or other technical field
- Experience manipulating large data sets
- Strong software engineering skills
Nice to haves:
- Experience with programming in C#
- Experience with front-end development
- Experience as a data scientist in a web/app-based consumer-oriented business
- Experience with interacting with Google Analytics 360 data via BigQuery
- Experience with Tableau or similar tools
- Experience with travel industry
Check out our company blog for an idea of what we are busy working on.
Rome2rio, based in Melbourne, Australia, is busy helping people get from A to B around the globe. We offer a multi-modal, door-to-door travel search engine that returns itineraries for air, train, coach, ferry, mass transit and driving options to and from any location.
We have recently expanded our services to include on-site ticketing as we move to a hybrid search and booking model. We are a globally recognised, profitable start-up and pride ourselves on the can-do, engineering-centric culture built by our founders who are both developers themselves. Our team of 33 bring experience from companies such as Microsoft, Viator, Etsy, Google, Amazon, Hubspot, Lonely Planet, American Express, Intrepid Travel and 99 Designs.
Working at Rome2rio means that you will be immediately responsible for shaping a consumer focussed product used by millions worldwide alongside a deeply involved executive team that actively seek and listen to the opinions of staff to improve and expand our offering. Your work will have plenty of impact!
Pay and perks
We really value our engineers and aim to offer competitive salaries. We typically pay roughly between $70,000 and $120,000 per annum plus superannuation, depending on your skills and experience.
Rome2rio offers a suite of additional benefits including:
Our team is based in a fun, creative and social loft-style warehouse in Richmond with table tennis and pool tables, plenty of break areas and access to nearby restaurants, cafes, and bars.
Interested? Click here to apply for this role!