At Rome2rio we’re busy helping people get from A to B around the globe. With 10 million unique monthly visitors, our multi-modal travel search and booking service is one of the top online travel resources used around the world.
Based in Melbourne, this role represents the chance to have a major impact on the operations of a fast-growing technology start-up. As the only member of the company in a finance role, your responsibilities will span a wide range of tasks, including:
- Day to day accounting operations, including management of accounting for our global e-commerce business, administration of local and overseas bank accounts and payroll for local staff and overseas contractors
- Development and reporting of key performance metrics
- Support, analysis and advice to the executive team
- Report financial information to shareholders, directors and team members
- Involvement in operational projects with a financial component such as new product launch or establishing an overseas entity
- Maintenance of comprehensive cash flow forecasts and budgets
- Collaboration with Data Science team to provide financial input to business intelligence projects
- Coordination with the company’s bookkeeper to manage end of month processes and yearly reporting requirements
- Liaison with the company’s tax accountants in preparation of the Fringe Benefits Tax returns, BAS, payroll tax and related tasks
- Recommending and implementing improvements to the company’s e-commerce systems
Who we’re looking for
- A degree in accounting or commerce. Bonus points for CA or CPA qualifications.
- Working knowledge of taxation compliance – GST, PAYG withholding, payroll tax
- Hands-on finance experience in a commercial environment
- Excellent computer skills
- Knowledge and experience with Xero
- A proactive and ambitious approach to problem-solving
- Highly organised and efficient; able to work autonomously
- A willingness to get dirty. It might be sorting out a cleaning contract, reconciling accounts or paying the bills. We are a hands-on management team and execution is paramount
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills. We value people who can listen and learn
- A pragmatic approach to process. We favour people over processes and doing over documenting
- An experimental mindset, willing to try new ideas and go the extra mile to get the best results
Prior experience in a role that included management of an e-commerce environment is beneficial. Rome2rio is an e-commerce business: all revenues are generated online. We work with numerous partners across the globe. The reporting data provided is varied in nature and scope. We need to develop standardised reporting systems that aggregate our activity into easily consumed, meaningful reports that can aid business decisions and priorities.
This role may be ideal for an individual in a larger organisation who is looking to move into a Finance Manager role and sees the opportunity to fast-track that process by jumping to a smaller, more agile business. The role is a 12 month contract and is also suitable for part-time applicants and/or for a candidate with family responsibilities.
You must be based in Melbourne. Rome2rio is located in Richmond, close to Richmond Station.
Rome2rio, based in Melbourne, Australia, is busy helping people get from A to B around the globe. We offer a multi-modal, door-to-door travel search engine that returns itineraries for air, train, coach, ferry, mass transit and driving options to and from any location.
We have recently expanded our services to include on-site ticketing as we move to a hybrid search and booking model. We are a globally recognised, profitable company and pride ourselves on the can-do, engineering-centric culture built by our founders who are both developers themselves. Our team of 33 bring experience from companies such as Microsoft, Viator, Etsy, Google, Amazon, Hubspot, Lonely Planet, Intrepid Travel and 99 Designs.
Working at Rome2rio means that you will be immediately responsible for shaping a consumer focussed product used by millions worldwide alongside a deeply involved executive team that actively seek and listen to the opinions of staff to improve and expand our offering. Your work will have plenty of impact!
Pay & Perks
Expected pay is between $80,000 and $100,000 per annum plus superannuation, depending on your skills and experience. Rome2rio also offers a suite of benefits including:
Our team is based in a fun, creative and social loft-style warehouse in Richmond with table tennis and pool tables, plenty of break areas and access to nearby restaurants, cafes, and bars.
Interested? Introduce yourself to Kirsteene with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org