Rome2rio has a vision to be the world’s trusted companion for planning travel. Currently, we have an average user base of ~30mn visitors/month coming to us from across the globe. Users engage with Rome2rio to find the option they want to travel with, book their tickets, and book their accommodation.
Our mission for 2025 is to help users move away from the pain of using many different tools and to make it easier for them to plan, book and share their complete trip.
To help us on this journey we are looking for a Junior Software Engineer to join our team in Melbourne.
As a Software Engineer, you’ll work within our cross-functional product engineering teams on a wide variety of projects across customer acquisition, engagement, conversion, data coverage and content. We prioritise our work based on user needs and value we can provide.
Impact you will make. ie some cool things you may work on:
- Optimize the accuracy and speed of our search algorithm covering billions of potential origin/destination search pairs
- Improve and experiment on the core user experience of Rome2rio on desktop, mobile and tablet devices
- Create more contextually relevant components based on our travellers’ needs
- Integrate new train, bus, hotel, rental car and attraction data from APIs and data feeds
- Build tools for our content team to add and maintain data in our system
- Improve the accuracy of estimated fares displayed on the site
- Develop interfaces for user accounts, bookings, history, saving and sharing itineraries etc
- Optimise our tooling, weighting algorithms and pages to support 100s of millions of SEO/SEM origin/destination pairs
- A/B test changes and measure the impact to the site’s design and functionality
A bit about you
We are looking for people with a Computer Science or Software Engineering background. Bachelor or higher degree is preferred, but not mandatory. Experience with a breadth of programming languages, a broad toolkit, the ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and a “get stuff done” attitude are important to us.
Our codebase is predominantly C#, TypeScript and React, however you do not need to be a C# or React expert; you just need to be the type of engineer that wants to quickly learn new languages and can work within an existing codebase.
Skills we’re interested in
- Experience in HTML & CSS
- Excellent problem-solving and collaboration skills
- Experience in or willingness to mentor team members, review code and contribute to improving engineering practices
- Experience working with SQL/NoSQL data stores and cloud services from one of AWS/GCP/Azure
It’s great if you bring, or would like to improve on
- Experience with C# and TypeScript
- Experience working with and maintaining large codebases on highly trafficked web applications
- Experience in conceiving, developing and testing hypotheses in A/B testing environments
Rome2rio encourages you to apply even if you’re still developing some of these skills!
Alongside building a great consumer focused product, working with a talented team and an attractive salary, Rome2rio offers a suite of additional benefits including:
- Five weeks paid annual leave per year (prorated for part time employees)
- Paid parental leave of 10 weeks for primary carers and 4 weeks for secondary carers
- Access to an annual $3,000 learning and development budget after successful completion of your 6 month probationary period
- A biennial travel fund of $2,000 towards international and domestic flights after your first anniversary of continuous employment with Rome2rio (prorated for part time employees)
- A biennial transport fund of $1,000 for transit expenses outside of Victoria (prorated for part time employees)
- A yearly contribution of $295 towards your health and wellbeing
- Full and free access to a professional external Employee Assistance Program service for employees and their immediate family
- A hybrid work environment with freedom to mix remote and office working day-to-day, along with a one-off $500 contribution towards your home workstation set up
- Work from anywhere for up to 30 days per year
- Flexible working hours and a casual office space to work from when it suits you, where the team meets for team activities, celebrations and fortnightly lunches
- No closure period, take holidays when you want them
As we meet in person from time to time, you need to be based in Victoria, Australia. To be considered for this role you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have full Australian working rights.
If you are interested, let us know! Apply here.