Rome2rio has a vision to be the world’s trusted companion for planning travel. As the world starts to travel again, particularly in our core markets of Europe and the US, we know that global travel demand will take off in new and exciting ways.
Currently, we have an average user base of ~30mn visitors/month coming to us from across the globe. Users engage with Rome2rio to find the option they want to travel with, book their tickets, and book their accommodation.
Our mission for 2025 is to help users move away from the pain of using many different tools and to make it easier for them to plan, book and share their complete trip.
To help us on this journey we are looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer to join our growing team in Melbourne
About the Senior SDE role
As a Senior SDE you will work closely with our Tech Leadership team in Melbourne. This role will see you influencing technical decision making, setting standards and best practices and leading the development of engineering solutions.
This Senior opportunity will see you working with engaged cross-functional teams that are passionate about our product. You will have space to work with autonomy while influencing the direction of our product and platform. In addition, you’ll have flexibility when and where you work, focus on outcomes over output, and an environment where your input is valued.
Your key responsibilities will be
- Owning delivery, quality and performance of parts of the code base.
- Working closely with Engineering Managers, Product, UX and Data Science teams to discover solutions to meet company goals.
- Provide feedback and technical mentorship across the company.
- Play a key role in the technical decision making for the company as part of the tech leadership team.
Impact you will make
- Optimize the accuracy and speed of our search algorithm covering billions of potential origin/destination search pairs
- Integrate new datasets and sources into our global travel data coverage.
- Design and implement tooling to improve quality and accuracy of global travel data sets.
- Design and implement tooling to manage user/manual generated data.
- Improve platform architecture to increase performance and saturation of services.
- Identify and solve bottlenecks in developer experience.
- Build and improve data delivery pipelines to enable better product understanding and decision making.
A bit about you
We are looking for somebody who has a real passion for software engineering, including the “craft” of the engineer, quality and performance of highly available, highly trafficked web services.
Your passion and broad knowledge for engineering practices, innovative mindset and experience working across a tech stack, including strategy, execution, continuous deployment and support. We value people who are platform agnostic and are willing to work in any software environment.
A coaching and collaborative mindset where you’ll work closely with tech leads and product teams at Rome2rio to build the best solutions for our users.
Skills and requirements
- Experience using data to lead decision making
- Empathy for our users, ability to inspire the team to solve problems our users face
- Excellent problem-solving and influencing skills
- Willingness to learn on the job
- Experience or willingness to work in a team, coach & mentor team members, review code and contribute to the implementation of good engineering practices
- Computer Science or Software Engineering background. Bachelor or higher degree is preferred, but not mandatory.
It’s great if you bring, or would like to improve on
- Experience with C# and TypeScript
- Experience working with and maintaining large codebases on highly trafficked web applications
- Experience in conceiving, developing and testing hypotheses in A/B testing environments
Alongside building a great consumer focused product, working with a talented team and an attractive salary, Rome2rio offers a suite of additional benefits including:
- Five weeks annual leave
- A biennial travel fund of $2000 towards international and domestic flights
- A biennial ground transport fund of $1000 for transit expenses outside of Melbourne
- A generous annual learning & development budget of $3000
- Paid parental leave of 10 weeks for primary carers and 4 weeks for secondary carers
- A yearly health and wellness benefit
- A hybrid working model where you can choose to work from home or our office most days, along with a $500 contribution towards your home workstation set up
- A casual, creative and social loft-style warehouse space in Richmond where the team meets for scheduled activities and collaborative work, celebrations and lunches together
- We work flexibly to let life happen, we rely on great communication and focus on outcomes and engaging work over time on the clock.
To be considered for this role you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have full Australian working rights. As part of our flexible approach, we’d be open to discussing part time options.
If you are interested, let us know! Apply here.