As the world starts to travel again, particularly in our core markets of Europe and the US, we know that global travel demand will take off in new ways. We are adding to our product to provide a more complete, connected and contextually relevant experience, and have big plans to become the world’s trusted companion for planning travel!
To help deliver on this vision we are building a new team to guide us through the implementation of SRE principles and modernisation of our platform.
About the SRE Role
As a Site Reliability Engineer in the platform team in Melbourne you will help shape the future of Rome2Rio’s infrastructure and cloud architecture. On this journey you will have support and mentoring from our SRE and Engineering leads.
This role is a great opportunity to gain experience in transitioning a passionate engineering team and high throughput platform to SRE practices and AWS.
You will also engage with other teams to understand their needs and help build and improve our tools, pipelines and processes. We will provide you with space to work with autonomy, flexibility when and where you work, outcomes focussed performance evaluations, and an environment where your input is valued.
What you’ll be working on
- Assisting in the design and implementation of new infrastructure / Cloud architectures
- Maintaining system reliability, specially during the transition to new platforms
- Temporarily maintaining (and in future decommissioning) legacy systems and assets
- Assisting in managing our site and infrastructure security
- Building and supporting developer services, tooling and improving the developer experience
What you can bring to Rome2rio
We are looking for somebody who has a real passion for SRE, quality, performance and security of highly available, highly trafficked web services. The ability to thrive independently, and a “get stuff done” attitude are very important to us.
Ideally you have experience and skills in the following:
- Good coding skills (any language is fine)
- Git version control and standard development flow
- Docker and virtualization in general
- Knowing your way around a linux terminal
- Basic understanding of Windows
- SRE principles
- Designing distributed systems with high availability and security in mind
Let us know if you have experience in any of the following:
- CI/CD patterns and tools
- Container orchestration tools (K8s, ECS, Docker Swarm)
- AWS infrastructure as code (Cloudformation, CDK)
- Windows server / Active Directory management
- AppSec best practices
- Other cool tech things you may have done
Alongside building a great consumer focused product, working with a talented team and an attractive salary, Rome2rio offers a suite of additional benefits including:
- Five weeks annual leave
- A biennial travel fund of $2000 towards international and domestic flights
- A biennial ground transport fund of $1000 for transit expenses outside of Melbourne
- A generous annual learning & development budget of $3000
- 10 weeks paid maternity leave and 20 days paid dad & partner leave
- A yearly health and wellness benefit
- A hybrid working model where you can choose to work from home or our office most days, along with a $500 contribution towards your home workstation set up
- A casual, creative and social loft-style warehouse space in Richmond where the team meets for scheduled activities and collaborative work, celebrations and lunches together
- We work flexibly to let life happen, we rely on great communication and focus on outcomes and engaging work over time on the clock.
As we meet in person from time to time, you need to be based in Victoria, Australia. To be considered for this role you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have full Australian working rights.
As part of our flexible approach, we’d be open to discussing part time options.
If you are interested, let us know! Apply here