At Rome2rio we’re busy helping people get from A to B around the globe. With millions of unique monthly visitors, our multi-modal travel search and booking service is one of the top online travel resources used around the world.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to join our team in Melbourne. As a Software Development Engineer, you’ll work within our product engineering teams on a wide variety of projects across search, ticketing and content, customer acquisition and customer retention. You come with the requisite skills and adaptability to make product decisions and work across the full software stack.
Projects that you may work on include:
- Optimize the accuracy and speed of our search algorithm
- Integrate new train, bus, hotel, rental car and attraction data from APIs and data feeds
- Build tools for our content team to add and maintain data in our system
- Improve the accuracy of estimated fares displayed on the site
- Work on improving the core user experience of Rome2rio on desktop, mobile and tablet devices
- Develop interfaces for user accounts, bookings, history, saving and sharing itineraries
- Help design and build a better mobile website for our millions of monthly mobile visitors
- A/B test changes and measure the impact to the site’s design and functionality
Check out our company blog for an idea of what we are busy working on.
Who we’re looking for
Skills and Requirements:
- Experience in HTML & CSS
- Experience with version control systems like Git
- An understanding of Agile methods and concepts
- Excellent problem-solving and collaboration skills
- Experience in or willingness to mentor team members, review code and contribute to implementing good engineering practices
- Experience with C#
- Experience working with and maintaining large codebases and highly trafficked web applications
- Cross browser and cross platform knowledge
- Experience conceiving, developing and testing hypotheses in A/B testing environments
You must be based in Melbourne. To be considered for this role you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have full Australian working rights.
Rome2rio, based in Melbourne, Australia, is busy helping people get from A to B around the globe. We offer a multi-modal, door-to-door travel search engine that returns itineraries for air, train, coach, ferry, mass transit and driving options to and from any location.
We have recently expanded our services to include on-site ticketing as we move to a hybrid search and booking model. We are a globally recognised, profitable start-up and pride ourselves on the can-do, engineering-centric culture built by our founders who are both developers themselves. The company has 40 staff based in Melbourne and is growing. Working at Rome2rio means that you will be immediately responsible for shaping a consumer focussed product used by millions worldwide alongside a deeply involved executive team that actively seek and listen to the opinions of staff to improve and expand our offering. Your work will have plenty of impact!
Check out our company blog or visit our press page to find out what we are busy building.
Pay and Perks
Expected pay is commensurate with your skills and experience.
Rome2rio offers a suite of additional benefits including:
Our team is based in a fun, creative and social loft-style warehouse in Richmond with table tennis and pool tables, plenty of break areas and easy access to nearby restaurants, cafes, bars and the train station.
Interested? Click here to apply for this role