With routes to some of Europe’s most popular tourist destinations, a single, easy-to-navigate terminal and just a handful of boarding gates serving its lone runway, London Southend Airport (airport code SEN) is a hassle-free antidote to mega-airports like Heathrow. But be warned: the airport is located in Essex on England’s east coast (a whopping 42 miles (68 km) from the English capital), so getting from London Southend Airport to London can be time-consuming.
Since Southend Airport is so small (and so far), it doesn’t have a direct coach or bus service to London. In fact, your only public transport option is to take the train (operated by Greater Anglia) to Liverpool Street Station via Stratford Station (both are in East London). You can connect to the Tube from either. Otherwise, if you dare to brave London traffic, you can hire a rental car at the terminal.
How to get from Heathrow Airport into central London
How to get from Gatwick Airport into central London
How to get from Luton Airport into central London
How to get from London City Airport into central London
How to get from Stansted Airport into central London
Southend Airport to London tips:
- The transport type you choose will mainly depend on where you’re heading to in central London. It’s a huge city, and the cheapest or quickest option may not necessarily take you near where you need to go. Plug your destination into the Rome2rio search bar to find out the fastest way to get there.
- National Express does not offer a coach from Southend to London
- If you’re arriving on a late flight, be aware that the last trains from London Southend Airport leave just after 11pm (and slightly earlier on a Sunday). If you miss this one, the next train is around 4am the following morning (around 6am on a Sunday). Check the exact schedule here.
- Always check the Greater Anglia train website before travelling; there’s often disruption to weekend services due to engineering works
- Children under five travel free on the train from Southend Airport to London; child tickets (5-15) are half price. Booking online in advance will always result in the cheapest fares.
- If you’re travelling on the train as a group or a family, a GroupSave ticket will likely be the most cost-effective way to travel
- The railway station is a 2-minute walk from the main terminal building through a covered walkway
- Southend airport closes between midnight and 4am
- If you drive, Southend airport parking is just a minute walk from the terminal
- If you need to transfer to another London airport, make sure you leave plenty of time. The only direct route is between Southend and Stansted Airports via the X30 bus; it takes around 90 minutes and you can buy tickets on board.
Southend Airport to London by train
Southend Airport to London by taxi
Southend Airport to London by car
Southend Airport to London Liverpool Street station
Southend Airport to Stratford station
Southend Airport to London Victoria station
Southend Airport to Paddington station
Southend Airport to St Pancras station
Southend Airport to Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport to Southend Airport
Southend Airport to Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Airport to Southend Airport
Southend Airport to Stansted Airport
Southend Airport to London Luton Airport
Southend Airport to London City Airport
Where can I stay near Southend Airport? Search for hotels near London Southend Airport here
Looking for things to do and see in London? Find the city’s top attractions and how to get to them here.